Wednesday, September 03, 2008

First Day of School




Our first day of school was Monday and it went well! The kids were so excited and so ready to start things up. I was, too, aside from all the nervous feelings. I'm always so nervous before we start. I'm so excited about all that we are learning this year! We'll be posting pictures of our projects soon.
All is going smoothly. Jake is the biggest challenge because he's very hard to keep busy. He wants to be right in the middle of the action--like ON the kitchen table. When my parents were here for Max's surgery we worked hard getting activities together for Jake to do. I have a big tub full of ziploc bags of activities for him to work on. It's WORKING so far! He loves having something new to play with while we do school work. In this picture he is putting his pretend money in a Pringles can that my Dad painted. He cut a slit in the top and Jake has a ball putting in all his spare change.
I realize that we are only a few days in and we will probably be feeling differently in a few weeks. The newness will wear off and it will be hard to make ourselves to what we need to do each day. For now, I'm just enjoying it all...from the newly sharpened pencils to the kids' enthusiasm for each new subject.

6 Comments:

Blogger Wendi said...

I hear ya! Because I started the kids before Labor day, we already had a few instances of the "newness wearing off" :-0. I love the ideas on keeping the toddler busy - I'm going to try that too (a busy bucket of sorts), since he is my main challenge right now.

September 4, 2008 at 8:47 AM  
Blogger kristal said...

yey! i am so impressed with your commitment to your kids. i am really looking forward to seeing all the fun stuff you do (and maybe even tagging along on some of your field trips:) and encouraging you to press on when that new luster fades.

September 4, 2008 at 1:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't wait to follow your journey of homeschooling this year!! I may be borrowing a few of your ideas so keep posting!! :)

September 4, 2008 at 8:41 PM  
Blogger Brigitte said...

What great pics! I know you are an amazing teacher as well as momma. I can imagine that's a challenge to keep a toddler busy while school's going, but I'm lovin' the pringles can idea. Can't wait to see you guys soon!

September 5, 2008 at 2:24 PM  
Blogger kristen lewis said...

Look at your little scholars! Props to you for homeschooling- especially with a toddler!

When will Max be "activated?" I am so anxious to hear about it all.

September 6, 2008 at 10:19 PM  
Blogger Andrea Casey said...

Exciting! I can't wait to hear more about your school year!

September 8, 2008 at 11:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home