Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Strawberry Fields Forever




Posted by Picasa


The man who lived in our house before us owned a landscaping business and left our yard and flower beds in beautiful shape. It has been a treat this Spring to see everything bloom out. Among our favorites is Strawberries!! We were playing in the backyard one day and were thrilled to find tiny green strawberries growing out of white blooms. The kids have been waiting so patiently and checking on them everyday. All of their waiting and care paid off on Saturday. We finally decided that they were ripe enough to pick and eat. We had fresh strawberries for breakfast and they were delicious. Our crop was teeny-tiny, but it was fun nonetheless. I felt like some sort of Gardener Extraordinaire, even though all I did was turn on the sprinkler.

There are some other great things going on in our flower beds. MY favorite (yes, even more so than the strawberries) is the Hydrangea. It has the most beautiful pink blooms coming out. Hooray! Oh, and the kids planted beans in school. Hasn't every good kid sprouted a bean in a ziploc? Well, we're seeing how long ours last. If all goes well we should have some green beans in about 40 more days. We'll see about that. I'm not holding my breath. But--if we do--I'll really feel like a Gardener Extraordinaire! Here are a few pictures:

6 Comments:

Blogger Jamie Butts said...

Great post! I love strawberries, plants and watching things grow. (Although your kids are sprouting up a little too fast. ;P)

Thanks for your e-mail. I'm so fried, but with good reason... I just turned in my grades. Do a happy dance with me!

I love you!! We're having Leslie, David and Jameson over for pizza on paper plates, hoping to find a spot to eat amidst our boxes everywhere. :) Then, I will fill out Student Profiles. Getting closer to summer, which also means we can talk more during the day, which seems is muy needed! Talking more sounds GREAT!
LOVE YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
JB

May 28, 2008 at 3:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How fun!! We grow tomatoes, peppers, and zuccini. The kids love it! Hope the green beans work out. Love you guys!!!

May 28, 2008 at 5:56 PM  
Blogger Mandy said...

I've always wanted to grow strawberries! I don't know why I haven't. I would move out for a little while if that guy would come and live at my house for a while!

May 29, 2008 at 12:04 PM  
Blogger Allens said...

WOW! How wonderful! McCrae could eat every last strawberry you have. Those are his favorites!!!

Allens

May 29, 2008 at 1:37 PM  
Blogger Andrea Casey said...

What a gift! Todd and I did a little research recently on growing strawberries and found out it can take 2-3 years for a strawberry plant to get established. We'll have to be really patient with ours... But, how great is it that you got to reap benefits from the previous homeowner's labor! :) (Can't wait to see pics of your hydrangeas!)

May 30, 2008 at 11:08 AM  
Blogger Heidi said...

Yum! Nothin' like fresh strawberries. We had a whole row of plants at our old house and haven't made a spot yet at our new place. I'm hoping all the rain we've had this spring hasn't ruined the Oregon crop. I'm keeping my eye out for my favorite country stand of strawberries!

Thanks for introducing yourself over at my blog. I love meeting readers! Glad I could help with the science recommendation. I've found the book very helpful for our science studies!

May 30, 2008 at 2:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home