Friday, May 16, 2008

I Heart NKOTB



Yes, I was a New Kids on the Block fan. And so were you if you were a kid in the late 80's. We all were. We had weird hats with their logo and posters in our rooms. Some people had bedspreads and pillow cases with their pictures all over it (and still do, right Cliff?). Everyone had picked a favorite. My favorite was Jordan. I had an over-sized button that I wore on my jacket to show my devotion. We knew the songs by heart and knew the dances that went with every song. Embarrassing, I know.

Then it was over. They broke up. We were disappointed but got over it quickly and we have spent the last 15 to 20 years making fun of ourselves for acting that crazy about anything. I mean, really, it was ridiculous.

Well, they've reunited. They had their first performance in 15 years this morning on the Today Show. Did I tune in? You bet. I've been waiting all week for this. They danced and sang. I watched and laughed. I still knew all the words. The audience was full of women on the brink of turning 30 who probably drove their mini-vans to Rockefeller Plaza. They screamed their hearts out and held up signs that said things like, "30 Year Old Moms in California Still Love You!!" Dead serious.

After "Please Don't Go Girl" it went downhill. They brought out scantily clad girls that danced and they sang new songs (which means they are taking this reunion thing seriously). Ug. They should have stopped after the old stuff. I don't recall then singing that badly in the 80's but I'm sure they did. No matter how bad it was or how rusty their dances, it was still fun to watch. I'll be singing "Step by Step" all week, I'm sure.

Here's to the olden days--and here's to being DONE with them.

(For more thoughts on going back a decade see Michael's post.)

10 Comments:

Blogger smileysk8 said...

Wow! New Kids On The Block! Who would have thought!? Great post, made me smile and brought back memories of my old favorite band. I wish I could've seen the show! :0)

May 16, 2008 at 10:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh how I loved them too! My guy was Jonathan though!! I had all the necessary gear...bead spread, sheets, beach towel, giant buttons on my shredded jean jacket, all their TAPES, their VHS recordings. Pretty much everything you need to qualify as an obsessed groupie. I'm over it too, but don't tell my friend Ami cause she has talked me into going to a concert in Oct. We'll see... Miss you guys!

May 16, 2008 at 10:32 AM  
Blogger Jamie Butts said...

I had a sleeping bag, a cassete tape and could say their names really fast and thought that was way cool.
Fun post :)

May 16, 2008 at 2:40 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

I've been hearing their new songs on the radio all week & cringing! That "Summertime" song sounds like something the guys on "To Catch a Predator" would write or sing! I agree they should stick with their old stuff! We played it all the time at camp! The counselors would go crazy and the kids just looked confused! But, yes, Cliff has a NKOTB bedspread (some counselors bought it for him), and we actually use it all the time. Kind of a big mistake though, because apparently they are worth money!!! Ooops! Can't wait to see you guys next weekend, we are counting down the days!!!!!

May 16, 2008 at 3:35 PM  
Blogger Angel said...

HOW FUNNY!!! I am definately going to have to check that out on youtube. I loved them. :0) Angel

May 16, 2008 at 8:18 PM  
Blogger Mandy said...

They look like little kids in that picture! I remember them being so mature! Oh how time changes things! By the way, I'm now singing all their songs for the rest of the night - THANKS!

May 16, 2008 at 9:20 PM  
Blogger Momma B. said...

Oh, man! I can't believe I missed it!! If they come to OKC I am so there! I love my husband...more than life...but Donnie WAS my first love!

May 18, 2008 at 2:22 PM  
Blogger Kristy said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

May 19, 2008 at 10:25 AM  
Blogger Kristy said...

Erin--I can see you with a blue jean jacket and a huge button on it! Maybe your mom can find a pic to post for us!!! :)

May 19, 2008 at 10:26 AM  
Blogger Abbey said...

Yeah...I had the NKOTB dolls. LOL

May 21, 2008 at 11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home