Friday, June 29, 2007

I met Monk today



I met Monk today. The kids and I stopped by Chicken Express for some lunch before heading to the park. Max needed to go to the restroom. I ordered our food and sat down at a booth. When he got back I stood up and walked to the front counter to get some honey for Anna Kate. As I stood in line, a nicely dressed man approached me and said, "Ma'am, theres' something that I need to talk to you about." I got a little nervous...who is this guy? He began to deliver his message in a very serious tone. "Your son came out of the bathroom the same time I did and there is something that you need to be aware of." My mind starts racing...Oh my gosh. What did Max do? Did he break something? Was he crawling under the stalls? Jumping over them? "Okay, what is it," I ask. "Well, your son did everything very well. He flushed and he washed his hands with soap and dried them. But when he left the bathroom he touched the doorknob. Now, I don't have to tell you that there are many, many people who DO NOT wash their hands and then touch that doorknob. You need to make sure that he knows that and teach him to use a paper towel when he opens the door from now on."

He touched the doorknob. Now, using a paper towel to open bathroom doors is a great idea and something that I do each time I am forced to use a public restroom. And hopefully this is a practice that Max will adopt at some point. But right now he is 8 years old. We're just thrilled that he hits the toilet when he tinkles.

3 Comments:

Blogger Momma B. said...

That is hilarious!!! I was really thinking you met THE monk. How funny!!! At least he didn't tell you your son peed on him! How funny!

June 29, 2007 at 9:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL i thought you really did too!

July 4, 2007 at 3:52 PM  
Blogger Silverthornes said...

hehe...great open liner! I made sure to read the whole thing instead of skimming.
That is interesting that a man went out of his way to tell you that. how did you respond? "uhhh, thanks for telling me, we are just at phase 2 of teaching our children proper bathroom etiquette."

July 12, 2007 at 7:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home