Saturday, June 02, 2007

Helpful Stuff

It's Summertime. That's good. It comes around every year and I always think that I'm ready. I love the change. Then the first hot day comes and memories of the heat fill my mind. Ug. I remember that the door handles burn your skin. I remember that you break into a full-on sweat walking across the Target parking lot. I remember that our electricity bill shoots through the roof and our house still isn't that cool inside. I remember why I'm tempted to migrate north for the Summer.
We do summers a little different than most. Since we homeschool we have a few more options. While the rest of the world was busy going to school, we were busy adjusting to our new family member. So now that the rest of the world is finished for the school year, we're about to hunker down and get really busy. We'll stay inside most of the day, which may sound sad to some. But that is what the people in the north do during the extreme cold of Winter. Don't get me wrong, we'll play early in the morning but mostly we'll be working hard. Then we'll take a break when it cools off again. That works for us.
But to ensure that our Summer is not "all work-no play" I've been brainstorming fun, cheap ideas. And when I say "cheap", I really mean free. Here are some of the things that we'll be doing for fun:
-Breakfast at the park
-Feed the ducks
-Chuck E. Cheese (we have the kids cups that get free refills for the life of the cup...we take those, have a drink and play. No tokens required).
-A movie each week. Yep, this is our favorite. Regal Entertainment group offers free movies at some of their theatres each week during June and July. Click on REG Free Family Film Festival. You can type in your state and it will list the theatres and the shows. We never get to go to the movies so this is a huge treat for the kids.
-Periodic trips to McDonalds. Now, I am anti-McDonalds. Have you seen Super Size Me? If you have then you will be anti-all fast food (except Chick-Fil-A, of course!). But our McDonalds is super clean and has an amazing playroom. Even has a soft couch for me to sit on while I read. So when the kids need to run off some energy we'll head up there and have a coke and play.
-Trips to see Daddy at work. We love going to Chad's work to say hi. And while we're there we may as well have some lunch or supper, right? And if we have some lunch or supper we may as well have some ice cream, right?



And that, friends, is how we plan to stay cool and sane in the Summertime.

4 Comments:

Blogger Luis López said...

It,s OK don´t Mc. Donalds.
Regards from Spain. Good summer.

June 2, 2007 at 11:33 AM  
Blogger Jamie Butts said...

I love it! Great ideas, Momma Gerlt. I am all about free, family fun and staying in when it's hot and when my new e-mail allery alert says it's going to be a high pollen day. :) Ha! Love you! Calling you really soon, as in tomorrow! One of my main reasons I love summer. I get to talk to the Gerlt Mom more!

June 3, 2007 at 2:51 PM  
Blogger Abbey said...

You're summy sounds fantastic!! Wish I could come play!! :)

June 5, 2007 at 4:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't forget that Granbury has the drive in theater! You pay by the car so it equals out to pretty cheap per person. If you go early all the kids play and its in the evening so its not too hot. Plus, there are TWO movies! Of course, you dont HAVE to stay for both!
-Amanda Goble

June 7, 2007 at 12:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home