Friday, April 21, 2006

At Jamie's Prompting...

I read a thoughtful new post from my sweet Jamie this morning. Check it out here. In it, she prompts us bloggers to post our thoughts on disciplining ourselves. It could be about disciplining ourselves in general or how the spiritual disciplines play out in our lives. Tough, Miss Moore.
The truth is, I have an embarrassing lack of discipline in all areas of my life. I have fought and struggled with that my entire life. If I am completely honest, which I don't want to be, I would say the "discipline" I work hardest at is making sure that I appear disciplined. What do I mean by that? It means that, as a wife and a mother and a follower of Jesus Christ, I have expectations and ideas of what my daily life should look like. The truth is, it doesn't look like that most days. But when I see people or talk to people I (sinfully) try to come off as having it all together. That's the honest truth.
What do I strive for, though? As I daily fight my flesh and strive "never to give over or in the least slacken in my fight with corruption," as Spurgeon says, what do I fight to do? It's good for me to sit and reevaluate that on this quiet morning. My three main areas are my spiritual life, my life as a wife and my life as a mother. The tricky part is that they are all very intertwined. As I work on one area I am, in turn, working on the other two. It's actually pretty cool. As I spend time in the Word I am learning and growing into a better wife and mom. As I work at home with my children each day, teaching them and even just playing with them, I am fulfilling my role as a wife and being sanctified. As I serve Chad, I am teaching my children and honoring the Lord.
It's hard in this stage of life that I'm in not to feel like a complete failure in the area of spiritual discipline. I look back on times in my life that I was able to spend hours each day reading and journaling. The "glory days". Do you know what I'm talking about? The days that you can look back on (or maybe you live there...I don't) and you always had something to share about what you were learning and what the Lord was showing you. When someone asked what your Bible study was on that day, or what Scripture you were memorizing, or what book you were reading...no matter what, you always had an answer. It's hard, sitting where I sit right now, to look back on those days and compare them with the time I'm in now. And I shouldn't compare. But I do. I see those times...and then I look at what fills my days now. Sometimes I don't get anything more accomplished during the day than playing with Anna Kate, reading her and Max 50 books, watching them ride their bicycles outside, and making everyone another sandwich for supper. And it's hard not feel like a spiritual discipline "flunky". But what I do each day is pleasing to the Lord. Wait. I don't mean to say that everything I do each day is pleasing to the Lord. There is plenty of laziness, plenty of bad choices with my time. Plenty. I don't mean to excuse that. But as I go through my day as "Mommy" and "Erin Wife" I have to resist the temptation to feel like a failure at the "spiritual part" of my life...because these things are spiritual. I am grateful to be in a church where I am encouraged as a wife and a mom. They talk often of "the high calling of motherhood." The more I understand what a high calling it is, the more I feel intimidated/sobered by the task of being a mom and wife.
Wow. That was probably way more than what Jamie bargained for. I'm not sure I even answered the question. But those are my thoughts...and there is lots more to say. Your thoughts, please? I'd love to hear them.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jamie Butts said...

Your transparence constantly spurs me on.

Thankful for you!

April 21, 2006 at 9:30 AM  
Blogger Momma B. said...

Doesn't it feel so good to bare it all!! Part of that burden is gone and you never have to carry it again!! Praise GOD! Thanks for sharing. I have heard that it won't always be like this but right now, AMEN, SISTER!

April 21, 2006 at 7:07 PM  
Blogger Momma B. said...

I put some of my own confessions out there for the world to see. I feel like a part of your world through this blog but I realize all your friends there have no idea who I am! I am just going to keep inserting myself into your circle!! Love to all!

April 21, 2006 at 8:35 PM  
Blogger Emmie, aka Vivian said...

Hello, Jamie and Rebekah's friend. I'm Vivian, mom to Sarah Dodson and Emmie to sweet Mikayla Grace Dodson. Linked to your blog from Sarah's. I like you already! I've always marveled at what I call "transparent people," those who tell you who they are, and, after you finish gasping (!), you decide you REALLY like and admire them! Trying for context clues, is your name Erin? I had 4 preschoolers and a kindergartener at one time, so I sure empathize with your days! Looking forward to getting to know you, if you don't mind an old lady posting. God is good! Yours and His, Vivian aka emmie at emmiebygrace.blogspot.com.

May 25, 2006 at 3:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

best regards, nice info Successful malpractice suits 4eyes eyeglasses Automatic gates japan Broadband tiscali merchant account volkswagen 1.8l solid lifter conversion

March 3, 2007 at 7:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home