Wednesday, March 22, 2006

The Great Flood of '06 - The day I almost Died (only slightly exaggerated)

Last Sunday, March 19, was quite a day. I began the day already in quite the self pity mode (see previous post) from being alone all week. But I knew my family was coming home. So I woke up ready to go to church. I slept in, so I missed the prayer meeting, but decided I would leave in plenty of time to be early. I walked into my closet, bafefooted of course, and my feet went 'squish squish'. My closet had flooded from the constant rain the night before. I decided there was nothing I could do about it until it stopped raining, so after I moved everything out of the closet I got ready for church. I grabbed my Bible, a pen, notebook, numerous snacks, a cold beverage, and out the door I went. After I locked the front door I walked to the car and placed my items on my car, reached into my pocket, and stood amazed as I realized I had forgotten my keys. I have no cell phone, Michael and Julie were out of town, Mindy and Jamie were already at church, and my wife was somewhere between Crane and Arlington. I was in a lurk.

45 minutes later, after weighing all of my options (I did not want to wait outside in the rain for 4 hours until my wife got home), I decided to break in by destroying my door lock. By this time it was too late for church and the rain had picked up quite a bit. I checked outside the back door and the flood was quite high. I needed to dig a trench. So I dug quite a good trench (if I might say so) that moved the water to the side of the house and out to the front yard. The rest of the house was now safe. Meanwhile, my cable went out so I had no phone. (We have VoIP, which is great, unless your power or your cable goes out.) Erin got word to me through Mindy's phone that Jamie was at Michael and Julie's house trying to soak up the great flood that was coming in at their house. Since my house was okay, I loaded up my shovel and headed to their house to dig a trench for them. Their house got it way worse than mine.

At the end of the day the rain finally subsided (8 inches later) and we all decided to eat out. So Jamie, Mindy, Michael, Julie, Erin, Max, Anna Kate, and yours truly all went out to eat at TGI Friday's. It's funny how joy can persist even in the midst of rain. I sure am thankful for my family and friends.

So here I am, still alive. Oh, and the hamsters are fine too.

4 Comments:

Blogger Kyle said...

Glad to hear the hamsters are OK.

Thanks for a good laugh!

March 22, 2006 at 2:01 PM  
Blogger Momma B. said...

I am sure glad you didn't perish in the flood! Sounds like a nightmare!! I won't be able to shower or bathe for at least a week just from the trauma. Hope you are recovering better.

March 23, 2006 at 3:34 PM  
Blogger Jamie Butts said...

Since I don't have a BLOG to post this - I want to "brag" on my sweet friends from Gerlthouse. They are such servants, and when I say "brag" - I know that all glory goes to God, not them. But I want to thank them "publicly" (as public as these Blogs go!) - Chad, thanks for helping me clean after the flood, for helping me put my computer back together, and fix my "grinding" radio, for your "like a dad, but way too young to be mine" wisdom, for babysitting when Erin and I need time away from the world to have "Erin and Jamie dates"... Erin, thanks for addressing 73 invitations of total strangers to relieve my "teacher/wedding shower planner" stress, making 100 cupcakes for total strangers, for bringing me a picnic dinner to my Open House night a few weeks back, for being my "safe place". Blog world.. if you are still reading, know that you have special friends in this family we call the Gerlts. Keep praying for Baby G!

March 28, 2006 at 4:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool design! Useful information. Go on! cosmetic treatment High cholesterol controlling it portable air conditioners second hand oral sex dieases

February 5, 2007 at 11:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home