Friday, December 02, 2005

Max's Thanksgiving

So, you know I'm a school mom now. For those of you who haven't really thought about it, I have a 6 year old. That means that I pack a lunch each morning. I get him on the bus. We do "homework" at night-time. We pay allowance if he does his chores without me asking. The whole deal. A real live six year-old. Don't you remember being 6? I do. It's a blast. It's early enough that school is still fun. You don't have homework. You have "homework". And you have parties at school. How cool is that? A party at school. Everybody is crazy. There's special food. Your teacher wears her tennis shoes and a holiday sweat-shirt. And best of all, she forgets the rules for the day. Remember? Well, Max had a school party. Let me tell ya. His school party was so much fun. His class acted out the first Thanksgiving. They each got to choose to be either a Pilgrim or an Indian. Max chose to be a Pilgrim so that he could shoot a gun. Then he changed his mind and wanted to shoot a bow and arrow. Back and forth, back and forth until the big day. He stuck with his instinct and was a Pilgrim. He was the best little Pilgrim I've ever seen.

He got to be the Pilgrim that looked through the paper towel roll and say (or sign, rather!), "I see land!" It was the best.

Next came the Thanksgiving Feast. Ms. Nutt let the class vote on what they wanted to have so it was quite a feast. There were slices of turkey meat, cheese, chips, pickles, apples and milk. Max and I decorated cookies for dessert. Each child had made their own place mat. All eleven of the Signing Pilgrims and Indians sat down to enjoy the feast. About midway through...catastrophe. Ms. Nutt left to get something from another room. It was just me and the kids and a little girl BARFED all over the Thanksgiving Feast!!!! I panicked. Tried to stay calm while she continued to throw up. I got the trash can and moved her to the bathroom while trying to get all the little deaf kids to quit signing, "HaHaHaHa!!!" I went to the bathroom with the little girl and my sweet, servant of a son got the KLEENEX BOX and started cleaning up the mess with his bare hands. GROSS!! I was trying to tell him to quit touching it without traumatizing the poor sick girl. Whew. It was quite an event! But it was so much fun. And Max had the time of his life.



Happy Late (of course) Thanksgiving From the Gerlt House!!!!