Monday, November 17, 2008

A Real Live Max Update

This is Chad. I have a real Max update for you.

Earlier this evening I was sitting at the computer paying some bills for work when I heard Erin in the kitchen say "bummer" about something. Almost immediately I heard Jake in his 2 year old voice mimic her and say "bummer" in the exact same inflection. It made me laugh out loud. Max, who was near me, saw me laugh and asked why I laughed. As I told him I signed and voiced at the same time (this is what we do now), and then he tried to say "bummer" himself.

Holy Mackerel!
People, Max said "bummer" very, very well. I mean, he definitely sounds like he was deaf for the first 9 years of his life, but it was an example to me of how far he had come in such a short time. I mean, Max is at the bottom of a very big hill to climb, but in such a short time he has already come so far. He mimicked a word that he heard me say two times very well. I have heard him do this, but for some reason it just hit me that he has developed a skill set of recognizing and vocalizing words with certain sounds.

Not sure how to sum up this post other than to say it again, Holy Mackerel!!! Definitely not a bummer!

6 Comments:

Blogger Jamie Butts said...

What a fun word, too! This is very exciting. We're missing all of ya'll!
Love you!

November 18, 2008 at 8:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It makes me smile ear to ear to hear such wonderful miracles! Thanks for sharing. Love you guys.

November 18, 2008 at 9:52 AM  
Blogger Angel said...

That is wonderful news. Thanks for the update. Angel

November 18, 2008 at 10:35 PM  
Blogger kristal said...

awesome!! thanks for the "real" update:)

November 20, 2008 at 6:17 AM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

Hello! You don't know me, I live in Kansas city...but I do know the sweet woman you met in Sam's a few days ago...Glenda Bitner. She is my very best friend in the entire world, the sister I never had. She was THRILLED to meet you and your sweet children and bubbled over on the phone about your meeting at Sam's! I moved away from OKC about a year ago, and miss her dearly. She shared your story with me and then sent me the link to your blog! I am amazed at Max...what a wonderful little soul he is! I have stayed up WAY too late reading your blog. Thanks for sharing your story. God speed,
Kathryn Farris

November 22, 2008 at 11:10 PM  
Blogger Wendi said...

Cool! Go Max! Heard you had a good visit with Holly recently...lovin' that sweet potato quesadilla recipe!!

November 30, 2008 at 11:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home