Friday, September 19, 2008

Video, at long last.

My sweet husband worked all evening on a nicely edited video. It's great. I wish you could see it...but it is stranded on our laptop and we can't get it up onto our blog.

Since that won't work out I went ahead and just uploaded the unedited version. This video is almost 8 minutes long. Most of you probably will not want to watch the entire video and we completely understand. It will be most interesting, say, if you're one of Max's grandparents. But the best part of the video is in the first few minutes.



We have had a very fun day experimenting with Max's new hearing. He is loving being able to hear some things. He still cannot hear much. We go back in the morning to have it programmed again. The fear is that he would be completely overwhelmed by all the new noises around him so they generally take it very slowly. However, there is just no overwhelming Max Gerlt. I don't think it can be done. He has been asking for more, more, more sound all day and we will ask for that tomorrow.

So far he has enjoyed hearing our voices and hearing his Wii. He went to the restroom at Dr. Kopke's office and thought it was fascinating that the lid made a noise when you put it down and slammed it twice. He was "wow-ed" by the toilet flushing, as well.

When we ask if he can hear us he pauses and listens. When he hears the noise that we are making, his face lights up and he raises his hand like Kela told him to do in the office today. It's so funny.

Funny story. Chad and I just finished watching the Rush Hour movies with Jackie Chan and Chris Tucker. We thought they were great. Well, tonight as we cooked dinner, I decided to be all Chris Tucker and I leaned over to Max and said, "Do YOU understand the WORDS that are coming out of my mouth?" (in my best Chris Tucker voice). Max paused...and then his little hand went up in the air!! Chad and I thought it was hillarious.

All silliness aside though, we are SO thrilled with how things are going at this point. We know that we have a very large hill to climb and it will be tough but we are excited about what awaits us.

More video coming tomorrow. I'm going to bed.

Labels: ,

13 Comments:

Blogger kristen lewis said...

I am so very happy for you guys! Watching his smile is pure bliss!

September 19, 2008 at 6:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW!!!! Amazing. So wonderful to see Max, you and Chad in these first sounds. Love the SMILE on Max's face.

What a wonderful day for you all.

Thank you for sharing this special day.

Love you,
Sandra

September 19, 2008 at 8:19 AM  
Blogger Momma B. said...

WEll, I am no grandparent but I watched that whole video and laughed along with Max. I am choking up right now thinking about that sweet boy and the new adventure he is embarking on!!! Praise God from whom all blessing flow!!!

September 19, 2008 at 10:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you posted the unedited version! Not to discount your hard work Chad...but that was the best to see all of his reactions and to hear your voices! Wow! What a blessing!! I can't wait to see more. Love you guys!

September 19, 2008 at 11:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am fixing to go take an O-chem test but i HAD to see if yall had posted the video before i went and you did!!! It made my day! I watched the whole thing and got a tear in my eye when he raised his hand. I love yall so much! And TELL him emily said hi!

Emily Parker

September 19, 2008 at 11:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chad and Erin,
I'm bawling as I watch this precious boy! I love little Max. It blesses me soooo much to see these things happening for him and for you. What a testimony to God's amazing grace his whole story is....from the adoption, to the learning "how to speak" to having YOU as parents! What a KIND God we serve. I miss you all and follow you faithfully on your blog....sorry I never email or call....loser! :) Love you so much!
specialkel

September 19, 2008 at 11:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ditto what specialkel said. I'm wiping my tears. What a gift (Max and the hearing!). I've got to show this to my kids later...they'll be thrilled! Love you guys,
AmyDawn

September 19, 2008 at 2:02 PM  
Blogger Andrea Casey said...

...Erin, you had me crying by the time I got to the toilet flushing lines. We're so excited for Max! Now, time to get some kleenex before I watch the video...

September 19, 2008 at 2:58 PM  
Blogger Kristy said...

Erin--I loved seeing both videos--so exciting! We are praying for you guys and rejoicing over God's blessings to your family!!!!!!!

September 19, 2008 at 3:16 PM  
Blogger Mandy said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who was sitting here crying watching it! That's so exciting - it's amazing how perspective changes when watching a video like this. Praise the Lord!!
Mandy

September 20, 2008 at 4:29 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

we aren't grandparents either...but we LOVED every second of it!! so happy for you max. we love and miss you!

September 21, 2008 at 5:32 PM  
Blogger Angel said...

I watched EVERY single moment. When his hand shot up in the air that first time I couldn't swallow. I was so choked up. Seeing those cute little eyebrows shoot up every time he heard something was precious. It was like watching a miracle happen. I am so thrilled for him... Watching the plan God has before him and you is amazing. Hugs, Angel

September 22, 2008 at 7:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an adventure you guys are having. I love the way you share the "trip" and it is so good that you are documenting it as you go. God is amazing and He teaches us in so many ways. I am a friend of your Mom's and I know you are all so pleased with the progress. to put it mildly! I will be back...

October 9, 2008 at 11:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home