Sunday, April 08, 2007

Funny Story

Last Saturday night, after a long week of work, Erin and I decided we should go out to eat rather than cooking at home. We do this regularly, and we go to the same places regularly...Jimmy John's, Chicken Express, Jimmy John's, Airway's, Jimmy John's, Chicken Express... and on and on. It's difficult for us to try something new because we don't want to waste an eating out experience, so we typically go where we know it is good.

So I made the suggestion that we try something new. I turned onto Cooper street and turned right on Arkansas, which, as Erin reminded me, has nothing on it. I said "I know, but humor me. Let's try it anyways." We almost never go down Arkansas. So we see this place called Joey's Pizza. As you probably all know, we were/are huge Alias fans. In the first couple of seasons whenever Vaughn would need to meet with Sidney they would call her apartment and ask if this was Joey's Pizza, to which she would reply "wrong number". So I strongly urged Erin to try it out with me, and partly used Alias as a ploy. She agreed on one condition, that if it looked bad after we walked in I would explain to the people why we were walking out.

So we walk up to the place and notice they are open on Saturday nights until 11 pm, but there are only three cars in the whole parking lot. Erin says "I don't know", and I convince her to give it a try. We walk in and the lights are all out but there are people at the front of the store. I asked if they were open, to which Joey replied in a deep Brooklyn accent "nah, we don't open 'till Monday, but come on in and have a seat anyway. Whadaya like, Pepperoni? Hey Jeff, make a large Pepperoni, will ya?" Yeah, a real New Yorker opening up a New York style pizza joint in Arlington and we are the very first customers before they are even open. Let me tell you, it was good. Max and Anna Kate sat down with Joey's kids and his brother's kids and watched Spongebob Squarepants on the big screen TV. They treated us like family because we happened to waltz in when they forgot to lock the door behind them. Joey didn't charge us but I left a $5 tip anyways because I wanted us to be the very first paying customers, which we were.

I went back today and got a canadian bacon calzone. It was excellent. When I walked in Joey remembered my name. I think he was even about to promo my calzone today when he saw the girl was already charging my card. Let me tell you, he earned himself his first regular.

If you're in the area give Joey's Pizza a try, and tell him that Chad, his very first customer ever, sent you.

Joey Pizza
1121 W Arkansas Ln
Arlington, TX 76013
(817) 277-7601

2 Comments:

Blogger mindy said...

when i am in arlington the next time, i will definitely attempt to go to joey's pizza. i love the friendly atmosphere of some of the places in arlington(first name basis, that is). if you ever want coffee in arlington, go to "coffee haus" by the central library; the people there are of the first-name-basis type.

April 10, 2007 at 8:15 PM  
Blogger Momma B. said...

AWWW...fun story! We miss you guys already!

April 14, 2007 at 9:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home